Today we honor the sixth anniversary of those who died in the September 11, 2001 Attacks on America.
2948 Victims died on that day.
3251 Children lost a parent on that day. The youngest victim was 2 year old Christie Hanson, the oldest was 85 year old Robert Grant Norton.
333 Firefighters and 60 Law Enforcement Officers, and 125 members or our Armed Forces died that day.
How do we honor those heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice on that day? We raise a new generation of heroes. Ready to take their place. Years ago we had hundreds of applicants for Police and Firefighter jobs. Today across New Mexico we have hundreds of vacancy's for these positions. Parents, talk to your children about the honor and pride of serving your country and your community. Lets raise a new generation of heroes.
Below is my tribute to the victims of 9-11.
Alfred Gilles Padre Joseph Marchand- The only New Mexican to die in the September 11, Attacks. He was a retired Alamogordo Police Officer who wanted to be a pilot someday. He was working as a flight attendant on United Flight 175 which was crashed into the World Trade Center South Tower.
Names of those Killed in the September 11 Attacks.
Death, destruction, charity, salvation, war, money, real estate, spouses, babies, and other September 11 statistics.
Time the burning towers stood: 56 minutes and 102 minutes.
Time they took to fall: 12 seconds. From there, they ripple out.
* Total number killed in attacks (official figure as of 9/5/02): 2,819
* Number of firefighters and paramedics killed: 343
* Number of NYPD officers: 23
* Number of Port Authority police officers: 37
* Number of WTC companies that lost people: 60
* Number of employees who died in Tower One: 1,402
* Number of employees who died in Tower Two: 614
* Number of employees lost at Cantor Fitzgerald: 658
* Number of U.S. troops killed in Operation Enduring Freedom: 22
* Number of nations whose citizens were killed in attacks: 115
* Ratio of men to women who died: 3:1
* Age of the greatest number who died: between 35 and 39
* Bodies found "intact": 289
* Body parts found: 19,858
* Number of families who got no remains: 1,717
* Estimated units of blood donated to the New York Blood Center: 36,000
* Total units of donated blood actually used: 258
* Number of people who lost a spouse or partner in the attacks: 1,609
* Estimated number of children who lost a parent: 3,051
* Percentage of Americans who knew someone hurt or killed in the attacks: 20
* FDNY retirements, January–July 2001: 274
* FDNY retirements, January–July 2002: 661
* Number of firefighters on leave for respiratory problems by January 2002: 300
* Number of funerals attended by Rudy Giuliani in 2001: 200
* Number of FDNY vehicles destroyed: 98
* Tons of debris removed from site: 1,506,124
* Days fires continued to burn after the attack: 99
* Jobs lost in New York owing to the attacks: 146,100
* Days the New York Stock Exchange was closed: 6
* Point drop in the Dow Jones industrial average when the NYSE reopened: 684.81
* Days after 9/11 that the U.S. began bombing Afghanistan: 26
* Total number of hate crimes reported to the Council on
American-Islamic Relations nationwide since 9/11: 1,714
* Economic loss to New York in month following the attacks: $105 billion
* Estimated cost of cleanup: $600 million
* Total FEMA money spent on the emergency: $970 million
* Estimated amount donated to 9/11 charities: $1.4 billion
* Estimated amount of insurance paid worldwide related to 9/11: $40.2 billion
* Estimated amount of money needed to overhaul
lower-Manhattan subways: $7.5 billion
* Amount of money recently granted by U.S. government to
overhaul lower-Manhattan subways: $4.55 billion
* Estimated amount of money raised for funds dedicated to
NYPD and FDNY families: $500 million
* Percentage of total charity money raised going to FDNY and NYPD families: 25
* Average benefit already received by each FDNY and NYPD widow: $1 million
* Percentage increase in law-school applications from 2001 to 2002: 17.9
* Percentage increase in Peace Corps applications from 2001 to 2002: 40
* Percentage increase in CIA applications from 2001 to 2002: 50
* Number of songs Clear Channel Radio considered "inappropriate" to play after 9/11: 150
* Number of mentions of 9/11 at the Oscars: 26
* Apartments in lower Manhattan eligible for asbestos cleanup: 30,000
* Number of apartments whose residents have requested cleanup and testing: 4,110
* Number of Americans who changed their 2001 holiday-travel plans
from plane to train or car: 1.4 million
* Estimated number of New Yorkers suffering from post-traumatic-stress
disorder as a result of 9/11: 422,000