Thursday, August 17, 2006

I have received this same question from a lot of people today so I thought I would answer it here.


NewMexiKen said...

While I understand you are doing as other officials, including Gov. Richardson, have done, I do not understand your motives. Mr. Epstein has been accused of a victim-less crime. He did not earn the money he donated to you or others from this crime. He has not, so far as I know, been convicted. And even if convicted, can a "bad" man do no good?

I for one would be interested in your thinking on this.


I could give you the politically correct answer but I don't work that way. The truth is that Republicans and other political attack dogs are criticizing me heavily on this issue. I know that this is something they will try and use against me and something that could haunt me for a long time to come. I decided it was better to just put this behind me and move on. The best way was to go ahead and make this symbolic donation and move on. I call it symbolic because of course the election is over and the campaign has ended, the money is all spent. So there is no way to give back or donate the actual money instead we will just have to come up with money and donate it so as to put the issue to rest and take it away from the attack dogs as an issue. Such is life when you go into public service.

It is true that these moneys are not alleged to be the fruits of any crime. If Mr. Epstein is guilty of what he is accused then even though the current charge is solicitation of a prostitute, the actual allegations are that the young girls he paid for sex and massages were actually as young as 14 and usually in the 16 to 17 year age. I have read the police affidavit for the arrest and was pretty disgusted by what I read. He also donated millions to charity and I hope the charities will not be pressured into returning the money. Thank you for the question and Thank you to all who have called, written and even sent in donations to assist me.

P.S. (if you sent a donation please don't get arrested !)

1 comment:

NewMexiKen said...

Thanks for responding Sheriff.

And I stand corrected on the ages of the girls involved and regret my earlier statement that it was a victim less crime. Clearly these allegation are very, very serious.